Join in on Instagram!

Share your version of these recipes on Instagram by using the hashtag #EasyPeasyStudentCooking!

A New Breakfast Option


Fruity Smoothies

This combination of Strawberries, Kiwi Fruit, Passion Fruit and Mango all blended together produces a delicious fruit smoothie as an alternative Breakfast option for those health-conscious students. And don't be put off by the colour, as a wise person once told me a healthy meal is one which is as colourful as possible!

There are a lot of false presumptions about fruit smoothies. I did my research before putting together one myself, and it seems that yes, the manufactured Smoothie companies pack high amounts of additives and sugars into them to make them 'tastier', but it is far healthier to make your own from scratch as you know exactly what you're putting into them. So that's just what I did!

The second presumption about fruit smoothies is that they are horrendously expensive (and therefore way out of us students's reach!) This is true to a certain extent, but it was when I saw how a friend of mine made her morning smoothies that I changed my mind. If I were to blend whole apples, mangoes, passion fruit, etc, then Yes, this would eventually cost me an arm and a leg. And fruit doesn't exactly have the largest use-by date either. So, this is how I did it: Frozen Fresh Fruit. Nothing added and nothing taken away, they are used for lots of different things such as home made deserts and decoration on food. But they also make delicious smoothies without any worry of going out of date! 

Each Pack of Frozen Fruit costs £2 in Tesco (See Here). I normally buy two different ones and I get around 8 smoothies out of them - that's 50p a smoothie and a weeks breakfasts sorted! Not as bad as you thought?

I personally like to mix and match: I buy a 'Tropical Fruit' selection, for example, and also a 'Smoothie Selection' and have a small handful of each. Unfortunately, you do have to cheat slightly by adding some Juice (any flavour will do) to make it pourable and drinkable! Juice does tend to have added sugar and, unfortunately, I've found this is only really avoided in the more expensive brands. But no more than 90kcal per glass, and you're likely to have less than that in your smoothie. 

Gradually add the juice and blend with the frozen fruit and there you go! You have a delicious, ice cold, low calorie, 1 of your 5 a day fruit smoothie to start your day!

(Optional: I also add granola into mine to keep me going that bit longer! Don't blend it but stir in at the very end. Enjoy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...