Join in on Instagram!

Share your version of these recipes on Instagram by using the hashtag #EasyPeasyStudentCooking!

Chorizo & Kale Hash


Chorizo & Kale Hash with fried egg
Unfortunately today I was faced with the saddening fact that the contents of my beloved fridge was one solitary egg. So, in order to claw my way through until the end of the working day, I browsed my favourite go-to database BBC Good Food to find a use for my mighty egg which would be quick and, more importantly, keep my costs low. This particular recipe is a 'triple threat': it's a mighty breakfast, a speedy lunch or a cheap healthy dinner. Take your pick and give it a go.

I initially thought Kale was some kind of strange fusion between a broccoli and something you might find in your garden, but once I put my insecurities aside and tried it, I never looked back. Kale even has it's own fan site (it's really that good for you): (http://www.discoverkale.co.uk/). So embrace the curly Kale and join the club.

Things you'll need:
(Serves 1)
  • 100g Kale
  • 1/4 Chorizo Ring (50g)
  • 1 x Egg
  • 4/5 x Baby Potatoes (Or 1 x Potato)
  • 1 x Shallot (or small onion)
Price per portion: £1.35

Cooking Instructions:
  1. Slice your potato(es) into bitesize chunks and par-boil in boiling water for 5-7 minutes until tender. Then drain.
  2. In a frying pan, fry the shallot and sliced chorizo until soft. Then add the drained potatoes and crisp up the edges (about 5 minutes).
  3. Add the Kale handful by handful. I found it was similar to spinach in that it shrinks to half the size once it hits the heat. 
  4. Finally, create a gap in the middle of the pan and break the Egg. Continue on the heat until cooked.
The final great thing about this recipe is you can combine it with any leftover bits: onion, cherry tomatoes - it's one of those dishes you can throw just about anything into and it will work (because Kale won't argue with your other ingredients: he is a super versatile and healthy friend to us all.)

Whether you want to start your day on the best possible foot or, like me, need to improvise something with leftovers, this dish is for you. Healthy, quick, and under £1.50 per portion! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...